Nature Detectives build naturalist skills every time we meet. Does your child have the skills of a naturalist? Review the questions below and download the PDF at the bottom of this page that presents activities to match your child’s skills.
- Curious about exploring the outdoor world, gardening, taking nature walks, field trips or observing nature.
- Keen sensory skills (sight, smell, hearing, touch and taste).
- Concern for the environment and conservation of natural resources.
- Excited to touch and explore “yucky” things. As one Nature Detective explained to me. “If it is a bug, I always like it.”
- Keeps books, collections, scrapbooks, journals about natural objects – observations, drawings, photos, or specimens.
- Uses binoculars, telescopes, hand lenses when observing nature.
Naturalist skills below are grouped into five categories. We identify, map, observe, measure and practice safety outdoors.. Link here to download a PDF of the fact sheet.