Preparing a Field Kit (or a Naturalist Kit) is a great way to enhance your family’s appreciation of outdoor experiences. You can fill a backpack with take-along kits for writing, drawing or coloring, journaling, plant identification, birding, tracking, rocks and fossils or insects.
Add a container to collect specimens of insects, leaves or rocks. Bring a scarf for some “blind sensory touch walks.” Nature Detectives LOVE this game the most!
My Nature Detectives Field Kit is filled with each child’s field journal, fun games, markers, colored pencils, magnifying glasses and tape measures. .
Find items for Field Kits where outdoor supplies are sold. Or you can find complete kits available tucked inside a sturdy backpack from Acorn Naturalist, – an online store that sells books, educational materials and supplies.
Suggestions what include in a basic Field Kit that anyone can use are listed below. Have fun on your days outdoors!
- Magnifying glass or lens
- Water bottle
- First aid kit (including tweezers)
- Insect repellant
- Plastic zip bags for collecting items (remember to respect the rules of state and federal lands for protected items that are not to be removed)
- Rain poncho
- Pen/pencil and 5×7 or 3×5 journal or notebook
- Guide books (birds, trees, wildflowers, shells, bugs, butterflies)
- Hard plastic box for collecting specimens